Feeding Southwest Virginia relies on over 2,500 volunteers every year. Individual volunteers and volunteer groups help with our day-to-day operations and with special projects and events. We could not make the impact we do without our volunteers!
We operate most programs out of our Salem/Roanoke facilities and our Abingdon distribution center. Select the region closest to you to identify volunteer events in your area. Please note that our Mobile Food Pantry and Mobile Marketplace programs visit rural areas of each region, so you may find an opportunity in your town.
Thank you for your desire to join us in our efforts to fight hunger in Southwest Virginia!
- Parking: Please park behind the building and use the back entrance at our Salem and Abingdon distribution centers.
- Check In: Please check in for each shift using our kiosk.
- Attire: Close-toed shoes are required for all volunteers. No sandals or flip flops.
- Age: Minimum age to volunteer is 16.
- Groups: Please do not exceed your reserved headcount.
- Physical: Please make sure to read the physical requirements for each volunteer task before signing up for a shift. Many projects require standing for prolonged periods of time or light to heavy lifting.
Volunteer as a Group
Many businesses and organizations see short and long-term benefits from getting outside the office with employees to provide meaningful service to the community.
Research shows that employees prefer to work for companies invested in charitable causes and volunteering is a terrific way to facilitate that need at a relatively low cost to you.
- Get to know your colleagues on a more personal level.
- Break outside your regular office hierarchies.
- Build camaraderie and strengthen relationships.
- Share an experience that you can take back to the office.
Businesses and organizations that would like to help fight hunger through volunteering should contact one of our local coordinators.
Salem/Roanoke Region: Randy Holden at 540-342-3011 x. 7016 or email@example.com
Abingdon Region: Joan Hawsey at 276-628-9266 x. 8010 or firstname.lastname@example.org